What is the PE & Sport Funding?
The Government has provided funding of £150 million per annum for the last 5 academic years to provide primary academy sport funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary academies to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their pupils.
What is the purpose of the funding?
Academies will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport – they have the freedom to decide how to do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring/employing specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE and sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality schemes/materials for the delivery of PE and Sport
- Developing and running after school sport clubs
How will we be spending the PE & Sports Funding and who will benefit?
Governors of Maple Court Academy agree that the money must be used so that: all pupils benefit regardless of sporting ability; that pupils who excel in key elements of the PE curriculum are given the opportunity to compete in competitions or tournaments; that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
Funding will be used to improve confidence amongst staff in the delivery of high quality PE lessons across the school. We believe that this is the most effective and efficient way for the funding to have a long lasting and positive effect on future learning and physical development of children within our academy.